Sunday, April 21, 2013

ER #55: Quick Picks


City Hall Elevator Rumblings  #55


Rider #1:  Well, the city elections are just around the corner.  And to be quite frank, I’m at a loss as to who to vote for.  As a city employee, it's good that we cannot openly support any candidate.

Rider #2:  That’s the truth.  It seems that the only time some of these folks are kind to us is when they need information or don’t want the city manager to know that we checked something out for them.  While I’m not sure who I will be voting for in all the slots, I definitely know who I will not be voting for.

Rider #1:  Please fill me in.  There needs to be a shift on the council now that some of the city manager’s Kool-Aid sippers are retiring.  Wouldn’t it be great if in one of the political forums, a simple Yes/No question would be asked and answered by all of the council candidates: Would you vote to extend the city manager’s present contract past the December 31, 2013 expiration date?  That would surely let voters know who is interested in change and a better direction for the city to follow.  It would also slow the spigot for tax bucks dripping out by Irving’s Lubbock Mafia Capo (city manager) to the chamber of commerce, special interest groups, consultants and sporting event ducat providers. 

Rider #2:  Well, I’m going to have to swallow every financially-conservative principle I have and vote for John Danish in Place 1.  In the past, I’ve kicked his cat so many times, he must be on his eleventh life.  This must surely be a sign that ice cubes are now being manufactured in hell.  As for as Place 2, there is no way I could consider Allan Meager.  Look at his past record when he was on the council and who he is still aligned with now (city consultants, special interest concerns?).  We certainly don’t need three more years of that.  This means you should pick between the other candidates in this race.  Finally, my only regret is that someone didn’t file against opinion-wimpy Gerald Farris in Place 3.  Wow, what a disappointment he has been...without even trying.

Rider #1:  Thanks for the info.  Your reasoning sounds solid to me.  I’ll help spread the word, but not on city time.  The Capo would like nothing more than to notch his grips with another employee biting the dust for not sipping the Kool-Aid or kissing his Baldrige ring.  I’ve marked my calendar for early voting April 29th to May 7th with the election day being May11th.

Rider #2:  Good thinking.  Also remember, the Capo is in a “play nice” mood with everyone now that the council has him over the contract expiration barrel.


A note from counsel: These “candid” elevator conversations have been injected with fabricated nouns, verbs, adjectives, conjunctions, adverbs, modifiers and maybe a few dangling participles….Mark Holbrook